Are you accepting atrocious and unacceptable gifts this Christmas?
When a phrase or message gets repeated often enough, whether we are conscious of it or not, it becomes a life message. When those messages come from authority figures like our parents or from other family members, friends, co-workers, what have you, if repeated often enough or with enough force, they tend to stick. Whether messages are spoken or are simply actions, they can make an impression that shapes your life. These are atrocious and unacceptable gifts from others that we unwittingly but willingly take on.
I am willing to bet that for more than a few of us we have lived with at least some of the following thoughts and feelings.
• There is no where to turn
• I am not safe
• I know it is not my fault but if I can’t fix it I feel guilty
• I have no security
• I feel alone, abandoned, slapped in the face, belittled
• I am unimportant, inadequate, not enough, less than nothing
• I feel so guilty, everything is my fault
• I am scared, I am a basket case
• I am manipulated, degraded, and undeserving
• I am feeling deserted, beat up, hit on every side
• I am incredibly pressed, misunderstood, isolated
• I am empty, confused and full of fear
Let these REALITIES soak in awhile. When we go to others to shape our life messages, the above is what we get and how we live.
There is a better way. God has messages about who you are.
• God loves you unconditionally. 1 John 4:7-10, you will find an unconditional love like God’s no where else.
• God sees you as worthy and having great significance. Hebrews 13:5 and John 3:16. No matter what your feelings on your worthiness, God has a different view and He wants you to enjoy it and live in His freedom. Your parents, in laws, co-workers etc. do not have the final say on who you really are, God does.
• God has given you a weapon to help you with whatever it is you are walking through, the Holy Spirit, Acts 1:8.
• You have been given the mind of Christ. Phil 3:5
• You have been given strength from Christ. Phil 4:13 and John 10:10. With strength from Jesus, you need nothing else.
• God loves you not because you are good but because He is good. Man’s approval is not requested, required or relevant.
• You are beautiful, unique, loved, special, cared for, lovely, precious, FORGIVEN, protected, empowered, CHOSEN, YOU ARE GOD’S FAMILY.
• Perfect (yes perfect)
• Blameless ( don’t listen to you brother or sister! LOL)
When was the last time you felt even one of those things, let alone all of them. Well let me tell you. They are yours for the taking. You can do all things through Christ and all things do work together for God’s good. Are you willing to surrender yourself to God and accept the gifts He is offering you this Christmas (or any time)?